Running Adobe Indesign CS2 under Wine (Linux)

Running Adobe Indesign CS2 under Wine (Linux)

Managed to get Indesign CS2 running under Wine today, woohoo, one less thing tying me down to Windows.

The program installed ok uner wine but then when I tried to run it, it kept hanging on "calling late initialisers".

What I then did was to systematically remove folders from the plugins directory. By deleting the folder "scripts" Indesign started up nicely. There are only a few files in "scripts" not sure which one was causing the program to hang.

*Update - * You don't need to delete the whole scripts folder, just the file Support for "Visual Basic.apln"

*Another Update - * Found that InDesign was crashing when trying to open or import files, solution for this is to go into preferences --> File Handling and turn on "Enable Version Cue", restart Indesign and voila it seems to work. Don't ask me why.

Posted on December 12, 2007
Tags: Linux

Comments

Dan Kegel commented, on December 12, 2007 at 7:55 p.m.:

I added your info to wine bug 7675,

Adrian commented, on December 21, 2007 at 3:53 p.m.:

Please add wine version used. Thank you!

kag commented, on December 24, 2007 at 2:42 p.m.:

What is your distribution and wine version? Did you try installing the full version (activation is impossible)?

Adrian commented, on December 30, 2007 at 2:05 p.m.:

I am getting Indesign installed and running with above described workaround (I call it the "Visual-Basic-Workaround") using Ubuntu 7.04 and wine 0.9.52. I am installing the Indesign CS2 Trial Version.
However, I can only do one opening procedure (and even this requires two clicks to file/open). After that, the terminal output is always "fixme:commdlg:GetFileName95 Flags 0x00800000 not yet implemented" when trying to open a file. The file dialog does not appear any more.

Note:
I am getting the same result when using the "native DCOM installation" instead of the "Visual- Basic-Workaround". The trick with the native DCOM is described here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager...

Unfortunately, neither one of the attempts has been successful for me...

Adam commented, on January 4, 2008 at 11:58 a.m.:

Ended up going back to Indesign 2, as there are too many problems with running CS2 under wine.

Graben commented, on February 1, 2008 at 5:25 p.m.:

Thank you very much.... everything seems to be working well. I removed the Script folder as well as PMWelcomeScreen.apln and Update Manager.apln and it starts with no serious error.

I also have to click twice on open or save to open or save a file but it works...and I no longer need to go back to windows just to open an indesign file or to generate a PDF ! Hourra!

I am using Ubuntu 7.10
Wine 0.9.51

winecfg :
Windows version : Win 2000

Adam commented, on February 4, 2008 at 10:30 p.m.:

Graben.. Have you managed to export any Pdf's. I couldn't?

Victor commented, on February 7, 2008 at 7:29 p.m.:

Thanks!

plopp commented, on April 4, 2008 at 12:11 a.m.:

That doesnt work for me on UGutsy7.10 with Wine0.9.58, it still hangs looping during that "calling late initialisers". This is coming out in the terminal:
fixme:win:UpdateLayeredWindow (0x10058,(nil),(nil),0x7def97fc,0x36c,0x7def97f4,0x00000000,0x7def97f0,2): stub!
fixme:file:MoveFileWithProgressW MOVEFILE_WRITE_THROUGH unimplemented
fixme:file:MoveFileWithProgressW MOVEFILE_WRITE_THROUGH unimplemented
fixme:file:MoveFileWithProgressW MOVEFILE_WRITE_THROUGH unimplemented
fixme:file:MoveFileWithProgressW MOVEFILE_WRITE_THROUGH unimplemented
Any suggestions?

Sajid commented, on August 27, 2008 at 12:46 p.m.:

Export is not working for me too, any body is able to export into PDF?

Haldys commented, on January 13, 2009 at 10:10 p.m.:

it helps, thanx

bambuin commented, on April 13, 2009 at 8:35 p.m.:

i did all this stuffs, i see the icon of in desingn cs2 in wine but it doesn't open at all.
i m using ubuntu 8.10